Preparing for the future and how to say no!

It can be really helpful at times to think about your boundaries and plan ahead for when you will need to put these in place. Doing it when you’re feeling calm and seeing the big picture can allow you to make good decisions and have strategies ready for when they are needed. There are times when you’re going to need to dig deep into your energy reserves and really plough on, but there are also times when to not push yourself over the edge, you need to say the word no. 

Each of us is different and will have ways of going about this. The advice in here is what I have found works for me and my personality. I will say that I do not say the word ‘no’ as a default position. In fact, I often find myself saying yes, even when inconvenient. As a result though, when I do say no, or ask for help myself, I often have a willing team around me who will go that extra mile. 

Planning ahead 
Get yourself a wall planner and put in all your dates for the academic year - your parents evenings, data drops, reports, concerts, trips etc. Add in the dates for when coursework needs to be sent off and mark off time before it for marking said coursework if appropriate. 

Look at where you are likely to need cover (trips, rehearsals etc) and do a quick search for cover lessons that could fit with your schemes of work at that point. Put them in a folder ready for later. 

Find one-off lesson tasks that can also be used for cover, regardless of what topic they are studying. I tend to find ones that focus on core skills. Again put them in a folder ready - these are great for those sudden emergencies when a colleague goes home poorly, or you have to rush out of school to look after a loved one. 

Looking at your calendar where are the ‘pinch points’ going to be? Is there anything you can do at that point to lighten your load? For example can you set some self-marking google forms, do some live marking in lessons, or suspend running an extra-curricular club for a few weeks? Can you swap that detention duty with someone who has it at a better time?

Preparing the no 
When I first started teaching I was told to practice stock phrases for common classroom issues so you don’t get flustered and give the impression of being out of control to the kids. I recommend the same for practicing saying no. I have a few I come back to time and again depending on what I need:

“That sounds like a great idea, unfortunately I’ve currently got x,  x and x on my plate and so I’m unable to help right now. If you come back to me after x I can see if I can find some time.”

“I like the plan, but I’m unable to contribute towards it. I am currently working on x, x and x and therefore do not have the capacity to add it on. I really look forward to seeing how you get on with it though.”

It can also pay to have an email template at the ready to reply with too. For example

“Dear

Thanks for sharing this idea with me. I think the intention behind it is valid and it would be brilliant to proceed with this, however, I am unable to get involved as I am already stretched with x, x and x. 

I wish you luck with it.
Kind regards”

The key is always to be honest about what you’ve got going on, and whether or not you think you will have time to be involved in the future. If you think there’s no way you will be able to fit it in then don’t fob them off with a maybe, but say so. 

Remember, a no does not have to be moody or guilt-ridden. People have the right to ask, but you also have the right to explain that it is not possible to be of assistance. My most common experience to saying no is colleagues coming back to say they did not know what I currently had on, and that they perfectly understand why I cannot get involved. 

So empower yourself instead of exhausting yourself and start practicing your ‘stock phrases’. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lesson planning

Reports: Part 1 - using a Google sheet (or other spreadsheet!)

The 7 steps to teacher happiness - a summary of Mark Goodwin's talk